Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Blackout

Did you see the sky this morning?
.
7 in the morning and it was so dark, it looked like hell on earth. No, I've never been to hell and I don't know what hell is like but I'm pretty sure it would have looked like what it looked like this morning.
.
Lightning streaked across the dark skies, lighting it up for split seconds, before it was enveloped back into darkness. Lightning followed by crackling thunder so loud my car alarm went off more than 3 times. And no, I didn't bother getting up to shut it off.
.
Our room was dark and hot.
A few houses on our street had their power robbed from them.
Our house was one of them.
.
Lying down in the dark, I thought back of all the times when we had blackouts.
.
The first memory that came flashing past was when we still had the huge fish pond in our house. It housed more than 10 of daddy's precious japanese carps, each weighing more than 20kgs, sleeked with gold, red and orange. Daddy had them from when they were tiny little things and during one blackout, more than 5 of them died.
.
I can still see daddy standing in the pond, fishing out the dead fishes with his hands, and he had to hold each one with both his arms, each being so heavy and slippery, then wrapping each one in newspaper before discarding them. The look on his face. It was undescribable and until today, I still have no words to describe the expression on his face.
.
And all I could do that time was stand there, watching him fish the dead fishes out from the water with that undescribable look on his face.
.
The second memory was of the time when I just returned from Cameron Highlands to a blackout house and I couldn't stand the heat so I went to meet ButtercupTjin and BlossomMich for a game of pool at Breakers, and that was when the story of me and FattyHubby started.
.
I've experienced so many blackouts in this house, sometimes alone, sometimes together with my sisters, sometimes with the entire family, that it has become the norm.
.
3 hours later, TNB fixed the problem and I drifted back to sleep.

No comments: