Monday, April 02, 2007

She's home

For someone who's terrified of the rain, she was so brave to pull through what she went through the past week.
.
It was obvious that she was in a lot of pain, and yet, she made no sound, she showed no reaction, and just stayed strong so as not to have us worried.
.
It was a Sunday morning when we found her sick, not her usual self, lying lifelessly on the stairs. Her eyes all yellow, her ears, her tummy, all a sick yellow colour, the colour of death. And yet, when we called her name and came close to pet her, she made an effort to wag her tail to show us that she's happy. And we were too blind to notice that she was in pain.
.
Daddy came home that evening, after being away in China for a week, and she made the effort to walk down the stairs to greet him, eventhough it took up a lot of her energy and it caused her pain. But she only made it halfway down, before her legs gave way and she collapsed. But she tried.
.
Mummy and Jojo took her to the vet the next day, and it was confirmed that she was poisoned. By whom, we don't know, and we didn't care. We just wanted the doctor to work his magic and heal her. But it was too late, the poison was already in her blood and there was no way they could flush it out.
.
She was hospitalised immeidately and was put on the drip.
And she stayed that way for 3 whole days.
.
The doctor said she has to urine, because if she could do that, her kidneys are still working and she might be able to help herself recover. But three days, there was no urine, no energy, no life left in her.
.
I went to see her everyday, encouraging her to urine.
And each time I saw her, I cried.
We cried.
Because it was soooo painful for us to see her like that.
.
On the third evening, she couldn't bear to see us sad and so, she tried.
And she managed to urine.
And we jumped for joy!
But little did we know, it was already too late.
.
On the fourth day, I spent a whole hour off lunch with her. And when she saw me, she got up and wagged her tail. Imagine my joy and happiness to see her like that. And I thought, she's on her way to recovery!
.
I went home and updated mummy and daddy excitedly and they were so happy to hear the good news too.
.
And then, Friday came.
.
I rushed to see her, even excusing myself from the meeting in the office, after getting several urgent sms-es from Sarah. She went to see her. And she wasn't doing too well.
.
They thought that if I went, and she saw me, she might be better.
But when I arrived, and saw her, I lost all control and tears flowed freely from my eyes.
Because what I saw was just too painful.
And I knew, deep in my heart, that there was no way she was going to get better.
.
And so I did what I had to do.
I called mummy, and daddy, and Jojo, to come back immediately, to say their final goodbyes to her.
We had to stop her pain.
She was hardly breathing.
She couldn't even stand.
And she was bleeding profusely.
.
And there was nothing the doctor could do.
The poison had already damaged her insides, causing everything to slowly rot away, slowly killing her.
.
And so, it was on the 30th of March, that our beloved Purdy, was laid to rest.
.
.
She was only 8 years old.
.
But she's home now.
.
Her ashes and bones are kept in a pure white urn, surrounded by white flowers, on a table where we can see her everyday, and where she can rest in peace, in her own home....with us.
.
We will learn to love another, but you will never be replaced in our hearts and in our memories.
And we promise you this.....
We love you soooo much.....

1 comment:

Jane said...

Hey Kristy, sorry to hear bout Purdy. I just got the news last Sunday. I think u guys shud sue the dog biscuit company (as what grandma said bout the biscuit being poisoned by the company)..but anyhow, stay strong..Hugssss..