Wednesday, October 04, 2006

One for durian lovers

He was soooo excited about it the last time he went up that he wanted to bring some down for me to try, but to his utter dismay, he wasn't allowed to tapow. I guess they were afraid that someone else might steal their recipe (I hope someone does too....and fast! And this person better be in KL) or perhaps it just won't taste and look as good as it is suppose to be when someone take-away.
.
So, instead of bringing it down to me and since he didn't have a choice, he brought me up to it.
.
What am I talking about? Why, the famous Durian Tempura from Imperial Rama in Gentings, of course.
.
I've never actually heard about it until he told me but I'm sure it's famous in its own ways. Because there were many people who were there just for the purpose of eating it.
.
The restaurant itself was as grand as its name. From the outside, it looks small and quaint but once you step beyond that, whoa....the decor is magnificent! You walk pass a waiting area where they have huge, comfy sofas all lined up along the sides for people who needs to take a fag or for those who are just waiting for friends. Well, I know what I want to do on those sofas....*evil grin*


Then you will come to another entrance where a waitress / waiter would be waiting for you and bring you to your seat. The interior is grand as well, with high ceilings and long floor to ceiling glass windows.
.
It definitely does not look like the typical Thai-Chinese restaurants that we get here in KL.


Of course, we ordered what we came up for - the Durian Tempura. It costs RM6 per piece. Ok ok lah, still can afford. We also ordered the Spicy Chicken Feet Salad, Rice in Superior Soup and he had the Thap Thim Krop too.
.
I wanted the Mango Sticky Rice as well but decided against it. Like they say, never let a hungry man (or woman, in this case) order less you end up with more than you can consume.
.
So we dug in. I must say, for the price we paid and for all the rumors about Genting's sucky food, the food here was actually delicious!
.
And then, finally, the Durian Tempura.



Warning! This is ONLY for durian lovers. Non-durian lovers wouldn't
even want to come near this dish.


It comes in a shape of a square and is covered with aromatic, crispy tempura flour, fried to a golden perfection and looks so yummylicious, you can't wait to devour it with your barehands. But bear in mind, we are after all, dining in a fine-dining restaurant, so no hands, ok.

And when you cut it open, thick, gooey durian melts just ooze its way out of its cave and onto your plate, causing you to salivate and dribble all over the place. The durian is still warm inside and the first bite is like --- HEAVEN!
.
It's better when it's warm and just out from the kitchen. No wonder they don't allow take-aways.
.
Trust me, it's TO DIE FOR! Go try it.

Well, it was definitely worth the price and the effort bringing me up there, ain't it?

5 comments:

Kristy Geraldine said...

erm...you know where the pizza factory is? well, you have to walk way pass that all the way to the end until you see Imperial Rama. It's in Highlands Hotel.

Cherrie said...

omg... i just can't take durian.. arrrr....

and... the guy in the pic look familiar arr.. hmmm

Kristy Geraldine said...

he looks familiar to you? maybe you know him from work or something?

SLACKER said...

woi dumbass... next time u discover good food - u faster sms me can or not... shits.. i feel like going up to genting now! who's with me?

Kristy Geraldine said...

me!!! i'll come gentings with you again!